Attention Montclair Community

Effective immediately, and until rescinded, dine–in restaurants within the City of Montclair will be allowed to temporarily create or expand al fresco (outdoor) dining areas notwithstanding any preexisting limitations imposed under the Montclair Municipal Code. This City of Montclair Community Guidance is based on provisions of Dine–In Restaurants Guidance issued by the California Department of Public Health updated on Thursday, July 2, 2020 and Guidance on Closures of Sectors in Response to Covid–19 by Governor Newsom and the California Department of Public Health published on July 1, 2020.


In efforts to provide more testing opportunities for San Bernardino County residents, community testing events are being held throughout the county. At these testing events, samples are collected by inserting a swab up the nostril or into the mouth to the throat. These samples are then sent to a laboratory for COVID-19 testing. Events are free of charge and do not require health insurance.


On May 14, 2020, the County of San Bernardino launched the COVID-Compliant Business Partnership Program to support local small businesses and help ensure ongoing compliance with State and County health orders and direction.

For more information, visit:




Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



I want to complain about flooding in my neighborhood.
Contact the Engineering Division of Public Works at (909) 625-9478.

I want to connect to the City sewer.
Contact the Engineering Division of Public Works at (909) 625-9446.

I want to report blocked storm drains.
Contact the Public Works Department at (909) 625-9465.


General Complaints

I want to complain about construction noise or dust from a construction site.
Contact the Engineering Division of Public Works at (909) 625-9478.

How long is the construction at “XXXX” going to last?
Most construction projects in the City involve City, utility company, or private development work. Contact the Engineering Division of Public Works at (909) 625-9444 to determine the type of project and the anticipated duration.

I want to complain about a street closure.
Contact the Engineering Division of Public Works at (909) 625-9478.

I want to complain about speeding traffic in my neighborhood.
Contact the Engineering Division of Public Works at (909) 625-9478.

I want to complain about tree roots lifting up the sidewalk.
Contact the Public Works Department at (909) 625-9465 to report the sidewalk.

I want to complain about a broken sidewalk.
Contact the Public Works Department at (909) 625-9465 to report the sidewalk.

I want to complain about potholes or other poor pavement condition.
Contact the Public Works Department at (909) 625-9465.

A traffic sign is broken, missing, or illegible.
To report a broken, missing, or illegible traffic sign, please contact the Public Works Department at (909) 625-9465.

My street sign is missing or damaged.
To report a missing or damaged sign, please contact the Public Works Department at (909) 625-9465.

A streetlight is out.
Most streetlights in the City are owned and maintained by Southern California Edison Company. The exceptions are those streetlights at signalized intersections and those streetlights on the Central Avenue bridge over the Union Pacific railroad tracks. Streetlight Outage Reports may be made to Edison or the Engineering Division of Public Works at (909) 625-9478.

There is a leaky fire hydrant on my street.
Report leaky fire hydrants to Monte Vista Water District at (909) 624-0035.


How do I obtain a parking permit?
Residential parking zones on City streets are established in certain areas of the City where there is a high demand for parking but a limited number of parking spaces. The intent of the residential parking zones is to give residents in that area, or residents on one side of a street, parking in front of their homes. If you live in an area with residential parking restrictions, you may obtain a parking permit or permits by going to the information counter at City Hall. You must show your driver’s license proving that you live at a location within the parking zone and copies of vehicle registrations showing that the vehicles are registered at that address.Temporary visitor parking permits are also available for guests.

Where can I get a handicapped parking permit?
Handicap placards and handicap license plates are issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You may be eligible for disabled person license plates and/or a parking placard if you are permanently disabled. Temporary parking placards valid for up to six months are available to individuals with temporary disabilities. A doctor's certification is required for persons whose mobility is impaired due to:

  • Cardiovascular (heart or circulatory) disease.
  • Pulmonary (lung) disease.
  • A diagnosed disease or disorder which significantly limits the use of lower extremities.
  • Specific visual problems including low-vision or partial-sight.
  • Loss, or the loss of the use of, one or both lower extremities or of both hands. A doctor's certification is not required if there is a loss of a lower extremity or both hands, and the person appears in person at the DMV office.

Click here for more information from the DMV.

Where are the rules about parking in the city?
Parking of passenger cars, trucks, and SUVs is permitted on public streets throughout the City except where expressly prohibited. There are no overnight parking restrictions, but vehicles may not be parked in the same location for more than 72 hours. Parking on public streets on street sweeping days is prohibited where so posted. Parking in posted residential parking zones is by permit only.

I want to request a no parking zone.
Most public streets in the City are wide enough to accommodate parking on both sides of the street. In some cases, however, the extent of on-street parking may make two-way traffic difficult or cause sight-distance problems making it difficult to see opposing traffic when exiting a driveway. In these situations it may be necessary to restrict parking. The City Engineer may find it necessary to paint red curb near the driveway to improve sight-distance.The City Engineer may be contacted at (909) 625-9441 for requests to consider no parking zones or areas.


Public Transportation

Where is the bus/subway/light rail station.
Bus service is provided by Omnitrans. Contact Omnitrans at (800) 966-6428 for routes, stops, and services available. Metrolink commuter rail service is available with a station at the Montclair Transcenter located on Richton Street between Central and Monte Vista Avenues.Contact Metrolink at (800) 371-5465. Foothill Transit also provides bus service out of the Montclair Transcenter into Los Angeles County. Taxi cab service is provided by Bell Cab (909) 808-1111 and Yellow Cab (909) 622-1313.

The Gold Line, a light-rail, commuter rail service is expected to reach the Montclair Trancenter in 2014. The Gold Line, like Metrolink, terminates at Union Station in Los Angeles, but travels through the foothill communities to Pasadena before swinging south to Los Angeles.

Roads & Streets

What are the city restrictions on operating oversize vehicles?
Permits for oversized vehicles may be obtained from the Engineering Division of Public Works by contacting the Engineering Division at (909) 625-9478.

How can I avoid congested areas and construction zones?
When road construction is continuous and expected to last for more than a few days, notices are typically posted a few days in advance of the work being done to advise motorists to use alternate routes. It is always best to avoid the construction area by using alternate routes when available. If alternate routes are not available, leave earlier in order to arrive at your destination in time.

I want to get the speed limit lowered on my street.
Speed limits are based on the Basic Speed Law which states: No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property. State law further requires that speed limits be based on traffic engineering surveys, ruling that, with few exceptions, any speed limit not based on a traffic engineering survey is arbitrary and constitutes a speed trap.

I want to request a stop sign.
Stop signs are placed at locations where, based on traffic volumes, sight-distance conditions, or other factors, they are required for traffic safety. They are not an effective method to reduce speeding and are, in fact, illegal when installed solely for that purpose. Please contact the City Engineer at (909) 625-9441.

I would like a speed bump installed on my street.
Speed bumps or speed humps have been used in some communities as a means to reduce speeding through residential neighborhoods. Their effectiveness, however, has not been proven. Those inclined to speed are not deterred by speed bumps. They also have the potential for causing accidents. They create problems for street sweeping operations and increase response times for emergency vehicles.

Where can I obtain traffic count information?
Traffic counts may be obtained by clicking here.

Can I trim or cut down my parkway tree?
Parkway or street trees are maintained by the City. Please contact the Public Works Department at (909) 625-9465 for any maintenance required.

Traffic Signals

Most of the traffic signals located within the City are owned and maintained by the City. There are a few exceptions. Signals at freeway interchanges (Central and I-10, Monte Vista and I-10, and Palo Verde and I-10) are owned and maintained by the state. Signals located on streets bordering other cities are usually maintained by one city or the other.

Many, but not all, signals in the City are coordinated in order to facilitate traffic movement through the City. A traffic signal controller, a computer, is installed at each signalized intersection. Each traffic signal controller has its own time clock. The time clocks for each controller are kept in synchronization by some form of interconnection, usually a hard-wired interconnect or a radio transmitter. The interconnection allows us to not only keep the time clocks on a common datum, but also to alter the programming in the controllers.

The programs change over the course of the day to reflect changing traffic conditions. Special programming can be entered into the controller in anticipation of special events that would change traffic conditions. An example of this is the programming that is entered into signals around the Montclair Plaza around Christmas time.

Some frequently asked questions or comments include:

A traffic signal is out or malfunctioning.
If a traffic signal light is out or malfunctioning, please contact the Engineering Division at (909) 625-9478. As noted above, some signals are not controlled by the City. However, the City will accept all the complaints and forward them to the proper agency if it is not a City signal.

A traffic signal needs to be constructed at xxxx.
If you feel that a traffic signal is required at a specific location, please contact the EngineeringDivision at (909) 625-9478.

A signal does not have sufficient green time to allow enough cars to get through the intersection.
There may be two causes for this problem. The first may be a traffic detection problem. This problem may keep the light from extending long enough to allow all the traffic to clear the intersection. The second cause may be that there is more traffic than can be accommodated by the maximum green time programmed into the controller. Signals, particularly those that are part of a coordinated system, have a maximum cycle length of 90 seconds. That is not 90 seconds of green time. That is 90 seconds to accommodate traffic movements in all directions. Adding more green time to one direction of travel means a reduction of green time in another direction. An intersection like Central Avenue and Holt Boulevard has heavy traffic in all directions at certain times of the day. There may be times when a particular phase will not seem long enough because all the traffic will not clear. Giving that phase more green time will mean taking it away from another phase. If you have any questions about the traffic signal operations contact the Engineering Division at (909) 625-9478.